For quite some time I have been contemplating moving Lightroom Secrets from WordPress to Squarespace. After countless chats and email exchanges with the good folks at Squarespace I finally decided to make the move.
Several year ago I made the move from Drupal to WordPress. (see Lightroom Secrets Goes WordPress!) I remember the work that went into that move so, needless to say, I was not looking forward to this one. However, as good as WordPress is it took a considerable amount of time. One of its major strengths is its flexibility. But that's also one of its major weaknesses. If I wanted to add a feature or enhance a workflow I could find plenty of plugins to do it.
The trouble is that as the number of plugins grows your site starts to slow down. Often, a new plugin would be incompatible with an existing plugin and the site would break. Then there is the time needed to keep plugins and WordPress itself up to date to avoid security issues. All in all it took a lot of time.
Please don't misunderstand. WordPress is a great solution and I am glad to have had it as the underlying technology for Lightroom Secrets all these years. But it was time to move on.
So why Squarespace? Here are some of the features that attracted me:
- Ease of use
- Beautiful, full featured templates to base your site design on
- Design with drag and drop simplicity
- All template are fully responsive and look great on phones and tablets
- Excellent 24/7 support via chat or email
- Customizable CSS and code
- Great security
- All updates to the platform are handled by Squarespace
- Lots of tutorial videos and full length workshops
- Extensive Knowledgebase and User Forums
- Automatic scaling - as your traffic increases more resources kick in to keep your site up and running
- Reliable backup of your site and all its contents
- Easily connect to major social networks
- Extensive analytics built right in
And those are just some of the features. Check out their full features list for additional details.
I also took this opportunity to refresh the look for Lightroom Secrets. I hope you like it!
As I get used to the new environment there might be some oddities as things are posted out to the social sites so please be patient. If you find something not working here please drop me a note via the Contact Us page.
I really appreciate everyone who visits Lightroom Secrets and hope you enjoy the content and find it useful. Thanks!