onOne Software has released the latest update to their Perfect Photo Suite and this is far and away the best version to date. The newly redesigned interface is just the beginning. New tools. New presets. And a new member of the suite, Perfect B&W, make this a great release. Take a look at onOne's introductory video to get a taste of what's new.
Perfect Photo Suite 7 includes full versions of the following onOne Software products:
- Perfect B&W (New!): Perfect B&W is the completely brand new module that gives photographers the easiest way to develop stunning black and white images. It includes powerful and intuitive tools that add dramatic, elegant, and classic black and white looks to images instantly and offers users complete creative control to reproduce time-honored black and white processing techniques.
- Perfect Effects 4 (New!): Perfect Effects 4 extends the creative power offered by the popular PhotoTools and provides even more ways to create images with impact. Perfect Effects 4 delivers an extended library of professional photographic effects, frames and edges accessible from a flexible new browser with keyword search functionality and Favorites selection. New blending modes and paint-in brush effects offer even more creative options for how effects are combined and applied.
- Perfect Portrait 2 (New!): Perfect Portrait 2 offers simply powerful portrait retouching, now improved with more accurate automated feature detection and enhancement tools to smooth skin, remove blemishes, brighten eyes and teeth, and correct skin color. Faster processing speeds also allow photographers to retouch images more quickly for simply stunning portraits.
- Perfect Layers 3 (New!): Perfect Layers 3 gives photographers the ability to combine images and extend editing options in a layered file workflow without Photoshop. Users can create and edit multi-layered files with Perfect Layers directly from Lightroom, Aperture or as a standalone application. Included are new blending modes, textures, borders, PNG file support, and the powerful new edge-detecting Perfect Brush.
- Perfect Resize 7.5 Pro (New!): Perfect Resize 7.5 Pro, formerly Genuine Fractals, increases image size faster than ever before and without the loss of sharpness or detail that might be normally expected. The same patented, fractal-based interpolation algorithms that were in Genuine Fractals are at the heart of Perfect Resize 7.5 Pro with several improvements. New algorithms for specific image types, built-in output presets, and the redesigned user interface, add to the power of Perfect Resize and make it even better for preparing all types of images for print. It is ideal to use with photos taken with DSLR cameras as well as snapshots taken with mobile devices.
- Perfect Mask 5.2 (Improved!): High quality masks may be created quickly and easily with automated functionality and powerful tools that make selecting subjects and isolating backgrounds for removal extraordinarily accurate. The redesigned user interface allows photographers to focus on their image editing while keeping their most used tools readily accessible.
- FocalPoint 2: FocalPoint 2 allows photographers to put the focus where they want after the shot. It’s the best way to add the most realistic depth of field and selective focus control to any image after it is photographed. A selection of lens presets is included to produce specific bokeh or the amount and kind of blur adjustment wanted.
One of my favorite new tools is the Perfect Brush. The Perfect Brush appears in several of the programs and lets you brush with abandon while it keeps you "inside the lines." So if you want to paint in a mask, for example, the Perfect Brush will confine itself to the areas you are interested in.
The new interface is much more intuitive and looks great. Each of the programs now have a consistent feel.
Perfect B&W, for example, has the presets on the left followed by the toolbar. In the middle is the viewing area where you work on your image and examine before and after views. Along the right side you will find the various panels and controls appropriate to the tool or program being used.
Perfect Effects follows the same pattern.
New in Suite 7 is the ability to easily search for presets and effects and the ability to flag your favorites for even easier access.
Perfect Portrait has stepped up its game as well. Not a tool for the high fashion retoucher but an excellent choice for most pros. Face recognition is quick and accurate. In the portraits I tested Perfect Portrait never missed a face and only missed identifying eyes and teeth once. With the new tools it is very easy to adjust where it thinks eyes and teeth are. When there are multiple faces in the frame, each is identified and you can quickly move from face to face from the toolbar applying individual retouching effects to each independently.
There are even helpful overlays to guide you through the process.
Perfect Resize is the direct decedent of the gold standard–Genuine Fractals. You can enlarge images as small as 1 megapixel to a much larger size for print without any loss to detail. Frankly, it's amazing how well it works. There's even a simple switch to build gallery wrap edges.
onOne's Perfect Photo Suite 7 has definitely taken it's place as my go to suite of application when I need to venture out of Lightroom for those little extras. It works with Lightroom, Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, and even as a stand alone program. Perfect Layers will bring layers to Lightroom even if you don't have access to Photoshop!
There is a ton of support and video tutorials at the onOne site. Regular webinars are offered (and recorded) to help you to use the Suite to its fullest. onOne also offers quite a lot of free software.
A great company with a sweet suite of applications make this a must have. There are free trials available so don't hesitate to try these out for yourself.